Setting Up Your Brother Printer (Windows users)
updated about 3 hours ago
The Kidmin App supports Brother printers, specifically the Brother QL-800 (use with 1.14 x 3.5in labels).
Section 1: Prepare Your Computer:
- Download Zadig-2.5 by clicking HERE (must be running Windows 7 or later). File will start downloading automatically. This is a third-party Windows application that installs a generic Windows USB driver to allow optimal communication between your Brother printer and our Brother printer app.
- Open file once download has finished, by double clicking or selecting "Open File."
- Click "Yes" when permission request appears.
- Click "Yes" if Zadig Update Policy window appears.
- Connect the QL-800 printer to your computer via USB. Make sure it is powered on (single green light above power button will be lit).
- Message bar at bottom of Zadig window should display "0 devices found." Click "Options" and select "List all Devices."
- A) QL-800 should appear for the device (if it doesn't, you may need to select it from the dropdown), B) "usbprint" should appear for original driver, C) "WinUSB" should be selected for replacement driver (if it doesn't, use up/down arrows to navigate to it). Click “Replace Driver.”
- You'll know the installation was successful when the message bar at the bottom of the Zadig window displays "Driver Installation: SUCCESS."
Section 2: Installing the Kidmin Printer app
- Log in to your Kidmin App account via web browser. On the church settings page, make sure your printer vendor is set to "Brother."
- Go to our printer help page. Select that you are using a “Brother” printer from the dropdown and click on the download for your Operating System. Download will start automatically.
- Select "Keep" from the menu option (three dots) by the download file once file has finished downloading.
- Click "Show More" and select "Keep Anyway" from Windows permission request.
- Double-click file (.exe). Click "More Info" and select "Run Anyway" from Windows permission request.
- Select best install option for your ministry (your user account or all on the device). Installer will run. Click "finish" when complete (if "open Kidmin Printer" option is left checked, app will open automatically. For your first use, click logout and this will close the app).
- Make sure the installation is complete before moving to the next section.
Section 3: Connecting the Printer to Your Kidmin App Account
- Make sure your Brother printer is connected to your computer via USB and powered ON (single green light over power button will be lit).
- Double click the Kidmin Printer app icon on Desktop screen to open the printing application.
- Log in with your Kidmin App account credentials.
- On the next screen you will enter a name for the printer you're setting up (this is helpful when using printers in different locations or if you have one that you dedicate to express checkins, etc).
- In the printer app window, click “Print Sample.” A sample label will print signifying that your printer is set up successfully.
- From your desk check-in page, select the printer you just named from the "Printing To" dropdown menu. Note: If it doesn't appear, you may need to refresh the page.
- To print a test checkin (highly recommended), make sure you have an available service and class available for that day. Check yourself in as a volunteer (this prevents child attendance from becoming inaccurate). A volunteer checkin tag will print.
- You're all set for checkins to print! **If you run into any issues with future printing, be sure to log out of the Kidmin Printer app and log back in before every service.
If you run into any problems or have a question, please contact us at email@example.com. We will be happy to assist!